Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Saturday Six

For the next several weeks my running club is going to have six-mile Saturdays to maintain our base of mileage until we start training for the Country Music Half-Marathon in January. I waffled on whether to go this morning or just run in my neighborhood alone. At 7:45, I decided to throw on clothes and go. I was actually the only ONE to show up at 8:00 a.m. However, I lucked upon two other runners I knew who wanted to run the 10K course for next weekend's race called the Sango Scamper.

I've been in the bad habit of running at an inconsistent pace and taking walk breaks lately. What seems to be happening is that I am running too fast (for me), and my heart rate goes up too high. Then I feel like I have to have a walk break to let my heart rate go back down. Then I do it all over again.

Today, running with these women, I ran my first true tempo run in a while--- a slightly uncomfortable, but manageable pace with no walking. About mile 3, I was ready for my usual walk break. (Part of it is mental, I think.) I wasn't dying or anything, so the lead runner suggested we just slow down a little, but not walk. I kept going, and you know what? After that few minutes of tiredness, I got over it and was feeling just fine.

So, for the first time since maybe February or March (if ever), I ran 6.22 miles WITHOUT A WALK BREAK!! I was so proud. I kept a consistent pace and a consistent heart rate (I assume). My time was about two minutes slower than I hope to do in the race next weekend. That means shaving 20 seconds off per mile, which could be tough--9:40/ per mile for six miles. Yikes!! But, I will have so much more confidence next week when my energy is flagging since I was able to run the whole course without walking this week.

Today's run was exactly what I needed! And to think I almost didn't go!

I didn't plan to have a good run today. There was wine at my bunco group last night..... I was up late and didn't sleep well..... I was a little, um, dehydrated this morning.... I didn't eat a special breakfast or have Gatorade or a gel or anything. But somehow everything fell into place. (About a week too late??)

7 comments:

Jules said...

what a good story!!! So glad you went!!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim Hayworth said...

I just started following your blog, I to have 3 children and although I am working toward my nursing degree I love to run... Motivation.. Awesome job on Saturday... Hope you have a chance to check Out my blog. Keep up the good work

Stacey said...

I love it when the stars line up just right! It is so motivating. Congratulations on the great run!

tamblair said...

Wine? Bunco? Why wasn't I invited? Congrats on your great run! It almost makes me miss it. Except then I realize I never had a run that great!!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I am with Tamara... Wine~ bunco~ Fun....

Run Mommy said...

I love when that happens!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...