Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Are You Gonna Win This Time, Momma?"

My five-year-old asked me that the other day when she heard me talking about the half-marathon. She asks me that before every race.

As you can see from yesterday's post, I'm a little race-obsessed. I love to do races. Of course I have NO CHANCE of ever winning one, but there's something magical about that starting line. And every single time I cross a finish line, I feel such a sense of accomplishment. Bringing home the occasional age-group award feels like winning the lottery.

So, no, Annabeth. Mommy is not going to win this time, either. But I will start and I will finish and that's good enough for me.

Some neat quotes I recently read in Running for Mortals by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield:

What's the difference between being a jogger and a runner? Signing your name on the entry form.

George Sheehan, a running philosopher, once said that we are all athletes. Some of us are just in training and some of us are not.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

My 7 year old asks me the same thing!
I really like your blog, I found it through Run Far & Strong. Good luck on your race!

Run Mommy said...

An excellent perspective!

Amy said...

Oooo I love that Sheehan quote! I'd never seen that one before. Good luck with your half marathon this weekend! Can't wait for a race report!

runjen said...

That is so cute and so sweet at the same time.
My 2 year old is coming to her first race this weekend. Even though I know she really doesn't have a clue, I'm so excited to have her there.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...