Thursday, May 14, 2009

WHAT Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Do you ever feel like you are digging yourself into a deep hole?

Last week, I was at the local YMCA chatting with one of the directors. We started talking about my experience in the marathon and how I was going to get my running coach certification this summer. As it turns out, our local YMCA has been looking for someone to coach a BEGINNER HALF-MARATHON group and a Couch to 5K group starting in August. There is a big race here in Clarksville on November 7, so it will be a 12-week program. It will involve weekly Weight-Watcher-like meetings and weekly group runs. The coach or coaches would design individual training programs, hold the weekly meetings, and all of this is going to be sold as a training package at the YMCA. Anyway, she asked me if it would be something I'd be interested in. Hmmm, getting PAID to run? Not a difficult decision. But then it got more complicated....

The interesting twist is that a local DJ is participating and will promote the race by talking about his experiences on the air. There will be lots of local media coverage (it's a small town--our DJ's are definitely local celebrities). We had a meeting the other night. He's a former college basketball player--6'7" tall. He doesn't currently exercise at all and has never run outside of when he played basketball. He's going to go from zero miles to 13 miles in six months. It's not going to be easy, but he's being a good sport about it. Here's his publicity shot from the radio station's website.
The rest of the half-marathoners will sign up on or before the class starts on August 10. All of the half-marathoners should have a 5-mile base minimum at the start of the 12-week program, so at least they are not starting from scratch. On the same night, the Couch to 5Kers will also begin their program.

I'm excited to be re-entering the workforce (fun money, if nothing else!) and integrating my passion with my (part-time, temporary)vocation. But I'm really nervous. I've only been doing this running thing for 23 months, and I'm definitely the slowest in my group of running mommas. (Photo removed.)
I know I'm not an especially talented runner (I heart 10-minute miles!), but I'm a teacher at heart and I love to read anything and everything about running and encourage others. Hopefully, it will all work out.

16 comments:

Jules said...

How cool!!!! You can totally do it. And to get PAID for something fun that you love to do? How awesome

Jules said...

just read the 5k recap...not sure how I missed that!

Reluctant Runner said...

You will be amazing! Sounds like a great opportunity, although you'll be very busy.

I mentioned you in my latest post as an example of how to look good in a running skirt, btw...

Lisa said...

OMG, what an amazing opportunity. Good for you. Things happen for a reason so while it may seem imtimidating right now, if you decide to do it I bet you won't regret it.

Stacey said...

That sounds so cool. I would love to do something like that. Get paid to run??? You will be an inspiration to them. Good luck.

Oz Runner said...

sounds like a great way to integrate your two loves--running and teaching! good luck with the DJ

Amy said...

Wow! That is awesome! I can't wait to read all about it in the upcoming months!

Anonymous said...

I think the group should be called Stay-at-home tanning bed moms. Which one are you? I can't tell from your profile pic and the Runner Mom pic. If I stayed at home, I could devote all my time to running too. I guess the rest of us will just have to work, be a Mom and run in our "spare" time.

Bethany said...

HA! The comment above is hilarious! Really? As a "working Mom" I think this is an amazing opportunity for you and you will be a great teacher/leader! And stay out of that tanning bed would ya! hahaha

RunnerMom said...

Anonymous, why are you so pissy? Dang it, I'm going to have to cut off the anonymous comments again....

By the way, I'm the palest one! NO tanning bed for me. Too scared of melanoma!

Janice {Run Far} said...

LOL- geesh... (to the above comment)

I am so jealous of you. Getting paid to run is awesome. Hoe cool that you get to use your experience and excitment to get others excited about running. You are going to do such a great job.

Shelly said...

Oh please! Why do people have to put in the negative comments! Anonymous- don't be so spiteful!

You are going to be great at the Y. You are full of information, encouraging and fun! I am so excited for you and I look forward to hearing updates throughout this experience.

Tammy said...

Wow, Donna. I cannot believe someone wrote that on your comments! How judgemental and ignorant to hide behind a computer screen judge us.

I am so happy that you are able to use your passion to inspire others! I can't wait to see how it goes.

Bill said...

Oooh, that sounds fun.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it all turns out.

Velma said...

This will be so much fun! I am helping as a sub with the local Fleet Feet store - really fun.

BTW, my legs still don't feel the same post-marathon. It just takes a while, and I am not patient :)

Lisa said...

I am really excited for you. You know, ever since you posted about going to the coach training, I have been thinking about it. I found some training a few hours from here next month. My husband has some questions about how two days of training can get you certified to coach. Do you know people who have done it? Did you research it?

Would you mind e-mailing me? If you aren't comfortable lifting your anonymity veil, I am fine communicating through blog comments. I thought that an e-mail dialogue might be easier. My e-mail is pslisarg at hotmail dot com. Thanks.

Oh... and anonymous can BITE ME. What a rude and ignorant comment. I did the working mom thing for several years and guarantee you that I have less time for myself now. How can anyone think that a stay-at-home mom can devote all her time to running? Does anonymous not read how we all get up at 5 a.m. to run like everyone else? Why are some people so rude. OK... enough venting. I am sorry someone posted something like that.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...