Thursday, May 28, 2009

Welcome to Summer

Our summer vacation has officially begun. Last Friday was the kids' last day of school. Managing three kiddos and running this summer will be a challenge, but I'm up for it.

On Tuesday, I got in 4.5 miles while a friend watched the kids. A few of us met and warmed up for a couple of miles then did 3 hill repeats on this 1/4 mile hill in the neighborhood where we run. I felt like I was going in slow motion, but I didn't stop once on the three repeats up the hill, so I was happy. I was, as usual, bringing up the rear. That was my first real session of hill repeats and it think they will make a big difference in my running.

Today, the kids and I met some other running moms and their kids at a park with a 1/4 mile track around the outside of the play area. We had snacks and juice boxes and playground equipment, so the kids played and we ran a few 800's. The oldest child there, an 11-year-old, kept track of my 3-year-old for me while I ran laps. The kids had fun and we accomplished speedwork, so it was a good day! My daughter Annabeth even ran a lap with us.

So, it may take some creativity, some babysitters, some getting up at 5:45 a.m., but I think I'll be able to get my runs in this summer just fine.

I'm reading a book that may actually CHANGE my running significantly--Alberto Salazar's Guide to Road Racing: Championship Advice for Faster Times from 5K to Marathons. Sounds like the perfect book for me, no?

There are two BIG differences in his training methods from what I've been doing:

1. RUN MORE. He believes that just running more miles will result in faster running. He wants a base of 20-25 miles a week, no matter what distance you are training for. I really only run 20 mile weeks when I'm in half-marathon or marathon training. I think I probably need a bigger base of mileage. (And he's not talking about junk miles--each run has a specific function.) He recommends that "recreational racers" (that's me!) run at least 4, preferably 5 days per week. My marathon training plan only had me running 3 days per week!

2. Speedwork is done TWICE a week. Ideally, you should have two "easy" days between speedwork sessions. Speedwork can be 400's, 800's, 1200's, 1600's or hill sprints or tempo runs. And you shouldn't do the same thing on your two days in the same week, or even the same two workouts over and over. Variety...

He points out, though, that at least once a year, you should have a month or two "off," when you don't log this kind of mileage and take a break from speedwork. Mentally and physically, the break is important.

I'm really liking this book and I'm only on chapter two.

5 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

way to go with the hill repeats... that really is the only resistance or speed training that I do. Occationally I will do some quick sprint to that light pole or sprint for 2 min and then recover while doing a normal 5 miler or something but that is all I ever do. I like the 4-5 days a week. makes sense. I need to log more miles in a week too. But after my June marathon I am going to take it easy for the rest of June and then start back up in July to train for the Air Force Marathon in Dayton Oh, which is in Sept.

Shelly said...

Janice- training for a marathon in the summer months- you are a wild woman! I think you definitely have something in your DNA that I don't have.

Donna- you have me very interested in this book. Keep me updated.

Casey said...

Way to squeeze in a run! I'm sure you've got to get creative w/ exercising once kids arrive--I'll know soon enough! :)

Thanks for the very nice comment, BTW!

Erika said...

Good job getting the running in. I did 4-5 runs a week last summer when I was doing marathon training and it definitely took some creativity. This summer I'm feeling more inclined to just take it easy. LOL.

Cheetah Girl said...

In response to your question, I've never actually done speedwork or followed a training guide... I've done what your #1 says..I just ran alot. I have been setting my own mile goals for the week and run one long run on the weekends! Now that I'm starting to care about times though I think it's time to try to add some speedwork/intervals or something like that in. (like your #2 says, lol!)

Keep me updated on this book, too! :)

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...