Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stupid Toenails

I have an infection under my big toenail on my right foot. I guess when I punctured the blister from the marathon, I allowed some bacteria access to the nail bed. It's painful, very discolored, and I thought I might have gangrene when I took the polish off today. Needless to say, I freaked out, left my lovely family on Mother's Day and went immediately to the walk-in clinic. The toenail is definitely coming off, but hopefully the TOE will remain intact after my 10-day round of antibiotics.

Marathon or not, I didn't sign up for THIS! I still think I'm going to give one more marathon a try with larger shoes, but if this is "normal" for marathoning, I'm O-U-T. Like they say, "13.1--- half as painful, twice as fun." Or something like that....

6 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Ewww! Hope it heals quickly for you.

Jules said...

I agree on the eeewwwww!

But I also think I would agree on "half as painful, twice as fun". I don't think I ever wanna be a marathon girl...but still, KUDOS to you! How was the 5k this wknd???

BabyLuxDesign said...

wow-ouch, hope to hear your toe get better soon... funny to hear I wasn't the only one at an urgent care on mothers day. I happen to stumble on your blog, I'm an avid runner too, thanks for sharing your stories!

Stacey said...

Ouch! I have never gotten an infection from popping one of those suckers! Hope it heals quick. And, I hope you had a nice Mother's day after the doc!

tamblair said...

Thanks so much for sharing... I dreamed about my toe nail last night thanks to your post. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Once the nail is off it'll feel a million times better. I went through the same thing a couple months ago. It looks hideous in sandals but feels fantastic!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...