Monday, October 27, 2008

Just Run

As a runner of one year and four months, I have discovered that I'm still a little behind the learning curve when it comes to running.

Over the weekend I got out some old Runner's World magazines and looked at an article, "How to Run Any Race Faster" or something like that. The author pointed out that to run a race a certain pace, you have to actually run some of your training runs at that pace. Well, you would think that would be obvious, but looking back, I haven't been doing that. And the author didn't say anything about taking walk breaks!

Today, I met my friend Amy for my first run of the week. For months, I've had an easy two-miler scheduled on Mondays as a recovery run from the weekend's long run. Today, I could just run. I could make it up as I went along. It felt really freeing. We decided to do three miles. I decided to run the middle mile at my projected 10K pace for Saturday to see how comfortable it felt. We warmed up at about a 10:20 pace for the first mile, then ran a 9:18 pace for the middle (too fast---race pace is 9:40), then cooled down with a 10:30 mile. I didn't have any walk breaks again. Maybe I've broken the "mental" aspect of that habit or maybe we just weren't pushing that hard. I'm hopeful, though.

It was about 45 degrees with a strong, cold wind. I hadn't been that cold on a run in about 7 months. I even got out my ear warmer band. I realized something today---I NEED COLD GEAR!

I'd love a pair of those fuzzy, fleece-lined tights and a warm, but breathable jacket. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

5 comments:

Kim Hayworth said...

Thanks for the comment.. It freezing here too. They say hard frost in the morning.. ahhhh... I will def. be running inside. I will keep my eyes and ears open as I surf the net. If I see any of those fuzzy tight and warm breathable jackets.....

Amy said...

Nice job!

I have to say, my favorite running item is my Underarmour cold gear leggings. They were pretty pricey.. (like 60 bucks, I think), but, one pair I'm starting on my 3rd winter with them, so they definitely hold up over time and they are so warm and awesome. I was actually excited to pull them out last week for the first time! I also have an Underarmour cold gear half zip top that I really like, too. I think they definitely have the tech gear down for cold weather, at least.

Run Mommy said...

In some ways, I like the cold weather running. It is the snow (actually the ice) that I hate running on. Your post reminds me to check on my various head gear such as good hats and headbands. I do sometimes struggle to understand the American posts (I think in KM's and Celsius!). I better brush up on that because I really like to learn more about the pace of others. Yours seems pretty fast so good for you!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the run!

I'm a big fan of layering. I have one of the champion C9 technical hoodies and I wear that over a technical longsleeve shirt and a technical tank with a built in bra and that keeps me warm when the weather is below freezing. I love cold weather running, as long as it's not raining...

Jules said...

oooh, fuzzy fleec lined tights? I need some of those!!! Tell me where they are!!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...