Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tagged!

I've been tagged by another blogger-runner (blunner? blogner?) at Just One Marathon.

Now I have to answer 5 questions about running. And here they are:

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago? Non-existant. ONE year ago this month, I was taking my first tentative steps as a runner. Walking through the local Y one day, I saw an ad for a 5K in October. Since it was June, I thought surely I could be up to however far 5K was by October. :-) I managed to get to 3 miles sooner than expected and ran my first 5K in August.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience? Best---Definitely the Country Music Half-Marathon. Everything went great---good pace, no stomach problems, not one blister, and a finish time I could be proud of in the top half of finishers overall. Worst--- Tie: Jingle Bell Jog 5K in December in a cold rain, going out way too fast without warming up, running out of energy in mile 2, giving up and walking part of the way. Oh, and watching my nemesis pass me and finish several minutes ahead of me. And the Sweetheart 10K in February---my first 10K. Coming in DEAD LAST.

3. Why do you run? So many reasons.... Running makes me feel good about myself. It makes me feel strong and tough and athletic. It is wonderful time for me, a time when it's not about being Chris's wife or my kids' mom. I also enjoy the goal-setting. I love to be able to set a goal, work hard to meet it, and succeed. I love having races on the calendar and to be in training. Running has added a new dimension to my life. I've never had a real hobby, never participated in a competitive sport. When I started running a year ago, I was in a place where I needed something different in my life, something that was mine. Running is that something.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
Best: The only way to become a better runner is to ..... run. Yoga, pilates, lifting weights, and cross training are all good, but you have to put in the time on the pavement (or treadmill). Worst: Don't eat before a run. What??? I'm no good on an empty stomach. My engine needs fuel.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know. I'm still afraid of the dark. I tell my husband I need a night light so I can see to get to the bathroom during the night, but really total darkness just creeps me out.

I'm still figuring out who I’m tagging...

1 comment:

Reluctant Runner said...

Hi, Donna. So, do you have to pretend to your kids that you're not afraid of the dark? That's how it is with me and bugs ... I remember having to volunteer to hold a tarantula during one of those wild animal shows. I was screaming inside but had to act all relaxed and fascinated.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...