Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Redneck Riviera Part 2

Yesterday an interesting thing happened while I wasn’t really enjoying my two-miles of intervals on the treadmill. (Yes, I'm trying to keep up with my running while on vacation to offset the fried shrimp, fried oysters, slaw, french fries, hush puppies..... you get the picture.) The fitness center overlooks the pool area. People-watching out the floor-to-ceiling windows provided some distraction from the monotony of the treadmill. I warmed up and then plugged in a challenging pace for a half mile. I recovered and then again challenged myself with a difficult-to-maintain pace. It was hot and I was struggling.

As I was nearing my second mile, I noticed an older gentleman in a wheelchair tooling around the pool area. His upper body was thick and muscular, but his legs were tiny and wasted away. I watched him roll over to the side of the pool and use his hands lift his lifeless legs to reposition them on the foot rests. He sat there while his wife, in the pool below, splashed up cool water onto his chest. He would have LOVED to have been hating running right about then. Know what I mean?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiration. The comment about the man who would LOVE to be running kept me running today. Keep up your writing- I bet you're inspiring lots of people.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...