Sunday, June 29, 2008

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me

Have you heard this story?

A son asked his father, "Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?" The father, despite having a heart condition, says, "Yes."

They went on to complete the marathon together. Father and son went on to complete other marathons, the father always saying "Yes" to his son's request of going through the race together.

One day, the son said to his father, "Dad, let's do the Ironman together." Again, his father said, "Yes." For those who don't know, Ironman encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride, and ending with a 26.2 mile marathon. Father and son went on to complete the race together.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always inspirational. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

No matter how many times I see them race, I cry. It's not sadness for them...I think this is an amazing story of love and family that we can all learn from. It's because I realize how selfish I can be and need a reminder to forget about "keeping up with the Jones'", be the best mom, wife, daughter and friend I can be, and take each day as it comes. Thanks for the reality check, Donna.

Tammy

Lisa said...

I love this story! My MIL just e-mailed the same video to me this week. VERY inspirational.

tamblair said...

I saw a piece about them on tv, and it is absolutely amazing to see what that father has done!! Thanks for your comment! I am always looking for advice from runners with more experience than me. I will have to add you to my list of blogs I visit!

Mum of Two said...

Isn't it amazing what a parent will do for his/her child? I've seen this SO many times and I have to agree with Tammy...it always makes me cry (and I will do EVERYTHING in my power to AVOID crying). It's also such a wonderful feeling to know that God loves us SO much more than we love our OWN children!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...