Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ouch

I'm in pain today. I ran 6 miles yesterday and my right ankle and left knee are really bothering me. It was my longest run ever, and it's the worst I've felt the day after a run. So, I'm wondering: Is my body trying to tell me something?

Perhaps long-distance running isn't for me. Maybe my bones and joints are too old. Maybe I should stick to 3- to 5-milers.

Running makes me feel strong. I don't want to give it up. I also don't want an injury to take it away.

I've been so obsessed with running these last few weeks, I've given up weights and crosstraining. I feel flabbier. My arms and abs are less toned. I don't know, maybe moderation is the key.

Up until a few weeks ago, I never even considered running a 1/2 marathon. But, as my runs have gotten a little longer, I see it is in the realm of possibility. I think I'm just going to train slowly----not up the mileage so fast again, and just see how I feel in the new year.

Part of the appeal of the 1/2 is that I know so many people---normal, average people---who are running them or training for one. It's the whole "If SHE can do it, so can I." I don't know if that's the best motivation.

Later.

No comments:

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...