Sunday, November 25, 2007

Inspiration

I was reading the August 2007 copy of Runner's World and came across an essay entitled "Pretty Strong: Feeling comfortable in our skin isn't always easy. Running helps."

The author, Kristin Armstrong, really summed up my own reasons for running. Here are my favorite quotes (praying I'm not breaking any laws here....):

Referring to the fact that she's given up dieting to lose weight---
"Once I learned what it meant to push myself, I lost all taste for depriving myself. I want to grow into more of a woman, not find ways to whittle myself down to less." Coolness.

The final paragraph really got me. She says, "My PRs will never garner attention or generate awards. But when I run, I am 100 percent me--my strengths and weaknesses play out like a cracked-open diary, my emotions often as raw as the chafing from my jog bra. In my ultimate moments of vulnerability, I am twice the woman I was when I thought I was meant to look pretty on the sidelines. Sweaty and smiling, breathless and beautiful: Running helps us all shine. A lesson worth passing along." So I am.

Read the entire article at http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-369-374--11979-0,00.html

3 comments:

Emily Doss said...

Thanks for showing me your blog!
This is exciting. Any tips on staying warm in the cold while running?

RunnerMom said...

Hey, Emily! The coldest temp I've braved is 40, but I think a few things are key:
1. My head band/ear warmer thingy is critical. I also wear a baseball hat to keep heat from escaping from the top of my head.
2. I like the moisture-wicking clothing at Target and I layer it. I just got a lightweight, breathable fleece there. But, any long-sleeved tee topped with a fleece or sweat jacket would work. Don't bundle up too much. I usually wind up shedding one layer and tying it around my waist.

I guess I'm really only cold during warm up and about the first 1/2 mile. Then I'm fine. At my last race, I saw people in shorts and tanks in 40-degree weather. Sweating. I also watched one lady struggle to get out of her 1/2 zip fleece by pulling it over her head without stopping running. Maybe 1/2 zip isn't the way to go!

MP said...

Way to go Donnie, I am proud of you. Barbara

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...