Saturday, December 27, 2008

Goals and Challenges

I'm at 604 miles! That goal is done and I'm right on track for the half-marathon coming up in February with my 9-miler this morning.

The Holiday Challenge may not be going so well. I haven't weighed since the other day when I was up 3.2 lbs. Maybe the 11 miles I've run since then helped. It's going to be embarrassing if I fail at my own challenge, though!!

That leaves me thinking about the NEXT set of goals and challenges.

I think 2009 is going to be THE YEAR. In new-runner talk, that means a MARATHON. A real one. Not half of one. Not a mini. The real deal. Just saying that on here makes it seem like a committment. A spring marathon perhaps? Well, the Country Music Marathon is practically in my hometown (45 minutes away). April 25, 2009, here I come!

My last half-marathon time was 2:15, but I'm not training for a 4:30 marathon finish or anything. (Not that that would EVER happen!) My goals would be two-fold:

1. Not to die.
2. To finish, plain and simple. Even if I have to walk the last 10 miles.

Surely I can do that. Seriously, I'm ok with a 6-hour finish. I think they stop timing the Country Music Marathon at 7 hours.

I wanted you guys to know first. THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT IN RECENT MONTHS!

I read something encouraging the other day. It was actually on a piece of Facebook flair. It said, "What would you do if you knew you could not fail?" Immediately, "Run a marathon" came to mind. Of course, I could fail, but I might as well try.

11 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

good luck, i know you can do it. Look me up on facebook...
janice horsley cook

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Your marathon goals are good ones. My goal was just to finish my first one, too, and surviving it is always good, too!

Running a marathon in April sounds good. Hopefully, you can train before it gets hot.

Run Mommy said...

As I approach my first marathon- I am all about just finishing, I just checked on last years results and there were plenty at 6+ hours. I look forward to hearing more about your training!

Bethany said...

WOW, Congratulations! I know you can do it and I look forward to hearing about your journey. And way to go on your miles in 2008, you made your goal!!!

Felice Devine said...

Yay! Way to go. That's awesome that you are going to be training for a marathon. Very exciting stuff.

Stacey said...

I am so excited for you. Your first marathon! Yay!
Good luck in your training. I am looking forward to reading about it!

Anonymous said...

Way to go on hitting your goal! And training for and running a marathon is an awesome experience! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

So...CMM?? Let me know!

Jules said...

yeah, good for you!!! So proud!

Andrea said...

Wow - I'm really impressed with how far you've come so quickly. I'm also in TN & have stumbled upon your blog - good luck on the marathon. The caroling story is hilarious! I look forward to reading more in the future!

Legs and Wings said...

Good for you! I'm sure you'll have no trouble finishing the full marathon.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...