Monday, December 8, 2008

Speedwork is Stinkin' Hard!

My half plan called for speedwork on Wednesday, but since it's nice out today and supposed to snow on Wednesday, I met up with my friend for speedwork today. We met at a park with a track (not the spongy kind at a university, just a paved oval). I was supposed to run 5 miles in all with two miles at 8:54 pace (yikes--for me, anyway). We warmed up for over a mile and then I BUSTED OUT MY FASTEST MILE EVER-- 8:39 pace. My fastest mile prior was 8:45, but that was last February. You'd think I'd have improved a little more than 6 seconds in almost a year.... It was tough to maintain that speed and I considered throwing up a little afterwards. I'd LOVE to get faster though, so this is the kind of misery I must put myself through!

After jogging/walking a half mile for recovery, we started with round two. We both fell a little short this time-- 8:59 pace for me. But if you AVERAGE them together, I ran two miles at a little less than an 8:54. We got in the five miles, so week 2 of training has started off rather well. The rest of the week is just an easy 3 miler, an easy 2 miler, and a slow 7 miler. I think I can handle that!

I just realized we are leaving for the beach in about 3 weeks. We are going for New Year's Eve and the first week in January to St. George Island, Florida. I was nervous about getting my runs in, but having researched it a little, I'm thrilled! The island is covered with paved paths for runners, rollerbladers, and bikers. There is one path that is six miles from start to finish. Florida is mostly flat, the temps will be between 50 and 65 degrees, I won't have to worry about traffic, I'll have on-site childcare (the grandparents!)-- it will be running perfection. I can't wait. (I'm almost a little sad that it's my drop down week.) However, the 12-hour drive with my three kids-- I'm definitely NOT looking forward to that!

11 comments:

Run Mommy said...

A vacation is fantastic! Not to mention your fast run. I know I have a hard time with miles but that seems pretty fast. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the fast running! I need to do some planned speedwork (instead of just random fast intervals) one of these days.

Have a great vacation. I'm totally jealous!

Legs and Wings said...

I loathe speed work but it works. I hate that 'throw-up' feeling. UGH>

Two years ago, we drove to Florida with the kids and spent New Year's Eve on Fort Myers Beach. I wish we could go again this year. The boys still rave about the trip. We spent 4 nights in Tennessee before heading through Atlanta and then down past Tampa. Good times!

tamblair said...

I was envious until the I read "twelve hour drive." Good luck!!

Bethany said...

Wow! Great job on the speed work. I start speed work next week and to be perfectly honest, it scares me! Have a wonderful and happy New Years trip.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I hate/love speed work, depends on the day.

I laughed when I read the "Stinkin" part of yout title. My three year old says that all the time. Yesterday my hubby and I were hugging and she says "Ugh.... You're "STINKIN" kissin, gross" it was so cute we had a good chuckle.

Felice Devine said...

Congratulations on your fastest mile! Speed work is tough, but it does what it is supposed to do. So, for that, I guess it is worth it. Maybe...

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sounds like you got some good speedwork in and your vacation destination sounds like a great place to run. Happy training!

Bethany said...

Yes! I actually work at the college. I saw you lived in TN, but didn't know where about? Thanks for your advice on the Tempo runs, it seems very helpful and makes complete sense. That is funny that you said that about the MP3, I have heard that a lot! I didn't run that race this year, obviously, but I would love to next year, I hear it is a great course with lots of spectators!

Bethany said...

Be sure to check out my page, but don't feel you have to pass out the awards, unless you want to ;) Just know that you Inspire me! Thanks :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

so I am starting to think that the half in Nashville would rock. I am just struggling with getting my miles for a full this time of year. And I am so excited about the Full in April. I have been trying to decide which one to run.... Ky Derby full or Nashville full... I heard the Derby 2nd half is lonely and not well put on. So I am pretty convinced I will be heading down for the Nashville. We should meet up. Feb 14th sounds great. Happy Valentines to us....

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...