Monday, September 1, 2008

Running, Reunion, and Recovery

I actually had a good run on Saturday. I managed 9 miles pretty well, but by the end of the 9th mile, my legs were clearly fatigued and my hip joints were sore. I got a blister for the first time in this training though. That afternoon I received my new anti-blister Wright socks ("no blisters--guaranteed!") from Road Runner Sports in the mail. They are made of two thin layers to absorb friction (or something like that). But it was too late.

I was careful to ice my shin and my knee that tend to bother me after the run, and both felt great.

After my run and a few hours of recovery, I went to my 20-year high school reunion. I shoved my tired feet and my new blister into heels from 6:00 p.m. to midnight, including dancing from about 9-12. So. Much. Fun! I didn't even notice how tired and sore I was until about 11:50-- I was just having too much fun talking to everyone and hitting the dance floor for the first time in years. Then as the clock struck 12, this Cinderella's shoes came off, the reality of a long run plus dancing set in, and I walked/hobbled back to my hotel room. I lay in bed that night just aching from the waist down. (**How did Katie Holmes do it when she went to that premiere in 4-inch heels just hours after running the NYC Marathon last year?) It was worth it, though!

Yesterday, I managed a 20-minute walk to loosen things up. It helped-- a little. Today is normally a running day, but I don't think so! My feet still hurt. This is my wonderful RECOVERY WEEK anyway! I only have 5 miles, 5 miles, and 4 miles on the calendar.

Happy Labor Day!

2 comments:

Reluctant Runner said...

I'd like to see how Katie does at HER 20-year high school reunion! Nice to see you're still young enough not to let few blisters stand in the way of an excellent party ... gives me a little hope, since I think I've got a few years on you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Glad you didn't let the blister slow you down!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...