Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Back-to-School Curse

The back-to-school curse has struck my household. Each school year dawns with new and exciting illnesses brought home to contaminate the whole family.

It started with my seven-year-old on Friday night: "Mom, I think I'm going to throw up." And throw up he did. Spectacularly. So, a restful Friday night turned into laundering his bedding, steam cleaning the carpet and his mattress, and comforting a sick boy. Food poisoning? Too much junk food? Or just a fluke? I wondered.

Then at 1:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, my five-year-old yelled, "Mom, I think I'm going to throw up." Uh-oh. She was very, very right. For the next 9 hours, she was terribly sick, AND not from just one.... um... orifice.

On Monday afternoon I called my husband at work to see what he wanted for dinner. He sounded awful. Yes, the virus had taken down one more. He came home at 5:00, skipped dinner altogether and went to bed. There was more of the same just like the other two.

Finally, I got into bed at 10:00 on Monday night and noticed my stomach felt off-- kind of bubbly and uncomfortable. From 10-12:30 a.m. I was nauseated, but I kept thinking, "I can BEAT this. I am STRONG." At about 1:00 a.m., I stopped fighting and the virus won. FOUR out of FIVE family members taken out.

Now, my two-year-old Julia is a cute little ticking bomb. I'm just waiting for the inevitable middle-of-the-night cries. Tonight? Tomorrow night? I think it's only a matter of time. Maybe, just maybe, it'll skip her, but I'm not counting on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hate those stomach bugs. Hope it misses the little one!

Anonymous said...

AHHH the stomach bug...We tried to fight it, but it won in our house as well!! Then in the middle of everyone being sick the septic tank was full and had to be pumped on a Saturday morning when we HAD to do laundry. Yes, the beginning of school has started! Hope you are feeling better.

tamblair said...

That is the worst... waiting on the final one to spew. GOOD LUCK!!!!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...