Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Not a Runner Today

I woke up this morning and knew I wasn't a runner today. It just wasn't in me. Normally, I don't have to force myself to go; I look forward to runs. My "drop down" week is starting to look more like a "drop OUT" week. I haven't run since Saturday.

Today instead of forcing the four-mile run I wasn't feeling, I went to the Y and did a hopefully equivilant 40 minutes of cardio-- I cycled for 4 miles and then did the elliptical for 20 minutes. That counts, right?

While I was cycling and ellipticalling (?), I started reading The Shack. Has anyone else read it? It's powerful. I was fighting back tears at the gym during a certain part near the beginning of the book. I'm also reading the Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women (hilarious) and Running for Mortals. I have zero time to read right now, which doesn't exactly explain why I'm trying to read THREE books at the same time.

Anyway, I utilized the power of multitasking as I got to enjoy reading AND exercising at the same time. You just can't do that when you run! (Well, I guess I could download a "book on tape" or something....)

3 comments:

Christy said...

i downloaded the shack to my mp3 player and listened to it while i ran on vacation... it is an amazing book, but has some interesting parts... let me know what you think when you finish it.

Jules said...

Love the Non-Runners Guide....it is the Women's one right? HILARIOUS.

And yes, 40 mins of cardio is a good thing!

tamblair said...

I only have a few chapters left of The Shack. I am so glad I am reading it. It is very interesting and definitely makes you think way outside of your box.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...