Monday, July 7, 2008

The Marathon of Motherhood

In the last 24 hours, my "training" has consisted of running (sprinting!) upstairs at 1:00 a.m. to a crying, throwing up child, holding her hair and rubbing her back as she stooped over the toilet, and making her a little bed on the floor in my room in case she got sick again.

All morning I did lots of squats as I gave her sips of ginger ale and water and felt her forehead to see if she was hot.

Then this morning at 9:00 (around the time of my scheduled training run), I lifted all 60 lbs. of her off the floor (I used my knees!) and carried her down the hall, down the steps, out into the garage, and into the car to go to see the doctor. Lately, I haven't felt that I could lift and carry my big girl any more. But she was too weak to walk, and I didn't have a choice. (Shouldn't that count for my push-up challenge for today?)

After some pacing in the doctor's office, we found out she has strep throat and a possible UTI.

I gripped her hand while she had blood drawn, got an extremely long, thick shot of penicillin, and received an anti-nausea suppository you-know-where. (All in all, a pretty rough day for a five year old.)

I got her home, put her back to bed, and started the mini-marathon of laundry---bedding, clothing, towels.... not to mention the carpet.

Today's schedule originally held an easy two-miler, day 4 of the Push-Up Challenge, and some leg toning. But I think I've "trained" enough for one day.

5 comments:

Reluctant Runner said...

Sounds like an ultra-marathon to me, Donna. Sorry your little girl is sick and hope she's better soon.

Take care.

Mum of Two said...

Wow! Doing squats while giving your little one sips of ginger ale...now THERE is the ULTIMATE example of MULTITASKING! Your poor baby girl! I hope she feels better soon!

Thank you for the tip on the drops! I will have to look into that one. I know it would make my boys happy!

Mum of Two said...

Thank you for finding that information FOR me! I told Weenie about it last night. Needless to say, he was EXTREMELY interested!!!

tamblair said...

Yes, I would say you have done enough for a day. I am totally empathetic... both of mine were sick last week. It makes everything feel like a marathon. Hopefully the shot will kick in quickly!!

Steve Stenzel said...

HA! I love the workout plan!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...