Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Heart Protein Shakes

Since I'm officially in training again, I find myself HUNGRY ALL THE TIME! I'm building muscle with the increase in mileage and with the push-up challenge, but I find my diet lacking one key ingredient.

From http://www.bodybuilding.com/,

Protein is made of amino acids. Amino acids are the basic building blocks of muscle. Therefore, protein is an essential ingredient for muscle building. You can't build muscle without it! You will want to take in about 1-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight throughout the day. So an average person who weighs 150 lbs would want to consume between 150 and 300 grams of protein in a day. Protein shakes and bars are convenient and provide high quality protein.


I'm digging these AdvantEDGE carb control protein shakes. The chocolate flavor is the only one I've tried, and I'm sold on it. It only has 110 calories, 3.5 fat grams, and 17 grams of protein. It's quite yummy. The best part is it's so portable. The other day I went for a 3 mile run at a local park and left a cold protein shake in the car inside a cooler. The whole run, I kept thinking about that shake. Since the ideal window in which to consume protein is within 30 minutes post workout, carrying along one of these shakes is a perfect option for me.

Convenience doesn't come cheaply, however. A four-pack at Wal Mart costs $4.97. It's not outrageous, but certainly not as inexpensive as a homemade powder shake. But, if you are "on the run" after a run like I often am, this might be a good option.

Any other suggestions of great, tasty protein sources you like after a workout?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I struggle getting in my proper nutrition as well. Do those come in vanilla? Chocolate is just too much for me after running.

I recently tried Muscle Milk and they seem pretty good, too. I had a hard time finding anything but the powder, but my friend told me yesterday to look in the diet section of the grocery store.

I'll keep you posted on my search for a good protein supplement.

Oh... Luna bars are a great snack with 10g of protein and 25g of carbs. I live off these things.

tamblair said...

I am hungry all the time whether "training" or not. That is a good idea for after a run. I will have to check those out!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I like to drink chocolate milk or a homemade fruit smoothie after a run. Good luck with your training!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...