Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'm..... Melting....

Whew! It's hot! My thermometer has hit 100 a couple of times this week. Training for a half-marathon/possible full marathon in Tennessee in July/August is just a little crazy!

At 6:05 my alarm went off this morning, and I said, "Forget it, I'm not going." Approximately one minute later, I grudgingly thought, "Well, I'm already awake.... I might as well go." I hadn't completed the crucial steps for an early morning run---laying out clothes and shoes the night before. I fumbled around and got ready for the run. I had 1/2 of a Nature Valley Oats and Honey bar and some water. Then I was off. I started so slowly because my body was still half asleep. How slowly? Who knows, because I forgot my Garmin! (Another crucial step---lay out your Garmin before runs!)

During my warm up 1/2 mile, I was surprised to hear footsteps right beside me. I looked and saw an older lady run right past me. I've heard guys talk about hating getting "chicked," or passed by females. Well, it's no fun to get passed by someone 15 or 20 years older, either! Clearly, she'd been running a long time, right? AND I was on my warm up. I had to check myself---the urge to speed up and keep up with her or pass her came over me, but without a little bit of warm up at a slow pace, I knew my run would be bad.

I saw 4 other runners out at 6:00 ish this morning in my neighborhood. I like that. I ran three miles (as best I could calculate---I'm LOST without my Garmin) and it was so hot, I just gave up. My stomach was bugging me as well. On this run and my last hot outdoor run, I was plagued by stomach troubles. I wonder if I'm not drinking enough or if it's just the heat? (or unrelated?)


I have to run 10 miles on Saturday and it's supposed to be hotter than today. I'm pretty sure I'm going to melt into a puddle around mile seven......

2 comments:

K @ Running Through Life said...

Good luck with the heat and your 10 miler! I always like to drink up the day before a long run.

Oscar Yeager said...

I wouldn't get too upset about "getting chicked" in a warmup.

In a race however, different story.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...