Saturday, July 12, 2008

"It's Not the Heat, It's the Humidity"

How many times have I heard that expression in my lifetime in the South? But, you know, it's sooooo true!

I had a rough 8-miler in what felt like 99 degrees with 146% humidity this morning at 7:00 a.m. I even did the Jeff Galloway 4:1 (I walked a minute after running 4), and it was still a difficult run. I'm not certain what I think about Mr. Galloway's plan. At first the four minutes flew by, and at four miles, I hardly felt I'd run one or two.

However, in the last couple of miles, when it was hotter and humiditier, I didn't love it. It seemed to make the run drag out f-o-r-e-v-e-r, and I never really got into the "zone." The "zone" is when I forget about speed or mileage and just run. I'm feeling good, not out of breath, and just putting one foot in front of the other. The 4:1 causes constant Garmin checking and I never really got into a comfortable groove. It was just brutal out there.

I was left with that post-bad-run-feeling of, "Why don't I just hang this running thing up?" I thought about the two half-marathons in October for which I am training. Do I really need to do them? Training in the summer in the South just sucks the fun out of the sport. So, feeling sorry for myself and disappointed in running in general, I did what any red-blooded American woman would do-----I went shopping.

Here's what came home with me:





I have officially jumped on the Asics bandwagon. (Sorry, Brooks!) This is the Asics Gel Nimbus 9, the 2007 Shoe of the Year (so I'm a little behind!).

I realized after making the purchase that this is my 4th pair of running shoes in the past 12 months. Is that bad??

4 comments:

tamblair said...

I had no idea you were a Southern girl!! It is really bad right now, isn't it? I have been fighting the urge to buy new shoes as well. New shoes ALWAYS make you feel better!!

E said...

The heat I can deal with, but the humidity always kills me. We've had a couple of days of humid weather as well and it stinks! I'm in the Southwest, so I feel your pain.

And no 4 pairs in 12 months is not bad. You're just making sure they don't break down on you. :)

Mum of Two said...

Come run in Phoenix, AZ! It's pretty humid here right now, but it's also HOT! Not the best running weather!

Lisa said...

hee hee... when I lived in Palm Springs, the joke when it was 110 degrees was "but it's a DRY heat" like that makes it better. LOL. I would have a VERY difficult time running in that humidity.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...