Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Crash and Burnout?

I think I might be in dangerous territory here. Since my 13-mile run on Saturday, I've had no energy. I'm sleepy all the time and just TIRED, so tired, kind of moody (if you ask my husband), even a bit depressed.

In a New York Times article called "Crash and Burnout" on overtraining, I read this:

“I work with a lot of runners and distance athletes,” says Ralph Reiff, a certified athletic trainer who's the director of the St. Vincent Sports Performance Center in Indianapolis and a leading expert on the symptoms and treatment of overtraining. “In my experience, a large percentage of the people who train for 10Ks, half-marathons and marathons are overtrained by the time they reach the starting line. Same with cyclists and cross-country skiers. A very high percentage get into a state of fatigue that they just cannot get out of.”

Maybe that 25 miles last week was overdoing it a bit. I was following a plan (sort of), but modified the long run from 12 miles to 13.1 so I'd know what it felt like before race day.

I did the elliptical yesterday for 20 minutes to help with tight and sore muscles. Then, today speedwork was on the training plan. I managed 2.25 miles, but it wasn't terribly speedy.

I'm due to run 9 more miles this week, but I'm a little alarmed at my body's slow recovery. I think I'd better take it easy the rest of the week. I've got to recover by April 26!

Also from the article---

How to Tell If You’re Overtraining

Fatigue that persists for more than 72 hours after a workout, often accompanied by insomnia.

Muscle pain and weakness that persist for more than three days.

Irritability, anxiety, depression. Unsure if you’re being extra-moody? Ask your significant other.

A rise in resting heart rate. Track yours by wearing a heart-rate monitor to bed.

A dramatic drop-off in performance for no obvious reason.

“Heavy legs,” or the feeling that your lower limbs, once springy and quick, have turned to stone.


I'm at the 72-hour mark today. If I don't feel better by tomorrow, I'm going to be freaking out.

1 comment:

katieo said...

ohno!! That sounds really hard. Better safe than sorry, I'd take it easy! Sounds like your body is trying to communicate to you. It doesn't seem like resting a little more or taking a break would hurt anything, but pushing it might! yeesh!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...