Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Change Is in the Air and Girl Issues

I'm excited about some upcoming changes in my running schedule. After Saturday, I'll be able to leave behind the long runs for a while. (Saturday is my training group's longest run and last run--a 12-miler.) Throughout the summer, I plan to run an 8-miler twice a month, but otherwise, I hope to do short and fast runs. My body is so used to the long and slow runs, it probably won't know what hit it! I know it's important to not get in a rut and do the same thing month after month. My long runs started in August of last year and have continued for-e-ver it feels like, so I'm very much looking forward to relatively low mileage and short runs for all of May and June. I'm thinking 15-20 miles per week-- just 3 runs per week. I want to cross train for at least an hour at least one more day per week and continue with strength training. I want to take some classes like Pilates, zumba, yoga, and spin to mix things up. I've been in the all-running, all-the-time mode for too long!

In the spirit of change, I'm giving new shoes a try. I found a "performance stability" category on http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ and ordered some Nike Lunar Elites. No one I know runs in these, but they got rave reviews from several runners. They are lightweight and I'm looking for a less "clunky" feel than I'm getting from my Asics Kayanos. Just for comparison, I ordered the Brooks Launch, another performance shoe comparable to the Nike Free. They are really flexible and the heel isn't built up a mile high like the Kayanos. This type of shoe isn't going to necessarily be for marathon-training length runs next fall (I'm thinking about the Rocket City Marathon in December!), but it is more of a tempo run/racing flat kind of shoe.










I'm looking for a new "spring in my step." I think the technical term is ENERGY RETURN. I want shoes that do that. These are also a part of the movement toward less shoe, stronger feet, fewer injuries. (Not that I'm plagued with injuries.) Lately, the bottoms of my feet hurt. I think it might be time for new shoes anyway. The great thing about Road Runner Sports is I can run in them for 60 days and then return them if they don't work out. NO ONE else I know of does that!

On to the GIRL ISSUES: (stop reading if you are not a girl)
I have two other new products that have me excited about summer running. New bras! I have been running in C9 from Target sports bras. A problem with Target sports bras and very thin, lightweight running shirts is the headlights issue. It's just embarassing. You are sweaty, the wind blows, you get a chill.... and you know where the story goes from here. So, I finally broke down and bought two much pricier bras with built-in boobs, I mean cups. What a difference.
That's actually me. (Just kidding.) I bought the Moving Comfort Vixen in white from our local running store and a Champion one in black at Kohls. Small problem with the black one...
I wore it yesterday without washing it. I had on a cute orange Nike Fit Dry tank over it. I went on a hot 4-mile run from the Y and came back soaked in sweat. People kept looking at me funny as I went over to the weights area to do a few pull ups and triceps dips. When I looked in the mirror---gasp! The black bra had gotten sweaty and black dye had come through the orange shirt and I had two large black boob stains on the front of my shirt. Nice.
Maybe headlights aren't so bad.

5 comments:

Nicole on the run said...

I always wear my regular bra, because unfortunately I can... I'm not that well endowed...

Love the title of your blog, so added you to my link list!

Lisa said...

OMG I would have been mortified. I hear you on the headlights issue. C9 sport bras work for me since I'm average size and don't need the extra support but there is that little headlight issue.

I also have a problem with sweating and looking like I'm a nursing mom who has leaked on both sides. THAT is embarassing. I tend to only want to wear dark tops now because of that which bums me out because I see so many cute running tops that I pass on because of the spot issue.

I'll have to check out the Moving Comfort bra. I just hate to spend so much money on a bra. WOuld rather spend it on running shoes :)

Kerrie said...

I can't wait for the change of pace either. Only 8 more weeks for me. Enjoy your time off long runs!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I am so sorry but I am actualy laughing out loud...with you not at you!

Jules said...

LMAO on the black bra!!! And I wear C9...love them but TOTALLY agree on the headlight issue...especially in the C9 think singlets.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...