Friday, March 20, 2009

Not Bad. Not Bad at All.

I ran twenty miles in three-and-a-half hours. Everything survived intact. It was not any harder than I'd imagined. The last 5 miles were rough, but I just kept counting them down. Mile 20 was definitely the hardest. It was all mental at that point. I just willed my legs to keep moving. I think I have some idea what "the wall" is going to feel like.

I already took a 22-minute ice bath (without the ice--just cold water) fully dressed. It helps to keep your clothes on.

Feeling relieved and happy and proud! :-)

9 comments:

tamblair said...

My marathoner friend says the mind starts to do strange things at mile 20. YOU DID IT!!!! Now you can do anything...

Erika said...

NIcely done! A cold water bath was all I could manage as well.

MCM Mama

Janice {Run Far} said...

Yay.. Go Donna.. So happy. I have never thought about keeping my clothes on while icing... great idea.

My feet are killing me today, not sure why... after 18 they were ok... today I can barley walk with out limping.

Lisa said...

Congratulations! Nice job and you deserve a nap.

Bethany said...

So proud of you! That is a great pace and you stayed strong. Enjoy your well deserved rest!

StangLuvr said...

Great Job!!! I hope you ran a mile or 2 for me...

Velma said...

Way to go on the 20. Now go register before the race fills up:) If you can do the training run, you are ready for the race. Remember you will be rested for the full 26.2!!

Stacey said...

Yay! Way to go!

Lisa said...

yeah!! Isn't it a great feeling to run that far? If you ran twenty, you can run a marathon. The next few weeks are just gravy!!

I still haven't tried the ice bath thing (I'm a big wimp). I might have to try it with clothes on.

great job!!

p.s. send me some good 20-miler vibes...mine is tomorrow!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...