Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Big 2-0! And I'm Scared....

Tomorrow morning is my first 20-mile run. Yikes. I have blocked off from 9-1 to get it done. (I hope that is enough time!) I hate to admit that I haven't even REGISTERED for the Country Music Marathon. If I survive tomorrow's 20-miler with all body parts intact, I guess I'll go ahead and drop the $105.

That said, I am so scared. I feel an apprehension in my soul today that I just can't shake. My breath catches in my throat when I think about it. Sure, I ran 18 miles two weeks ago and survived that, but a few things have changed for this run.

1. I ran 18 on a totally flat course. Tomorrow's run includes a few big hills and rolling hills throughout. But, this is definitely more representative of the actual race course.

2. I'm running with a mild ankle sprain. About a month ago on my 16- mile run, I rolled it stepping in a hole. A couple of weeks later, I rolled it again on the 18-miler (for no apparent reason, it just went weak on me). After Saturday's half-marathon, it was very sore for several days. (At least I ran with my ankle brace on.) On Tuesday it felt better, so I ran only two miles without my ankle brace on the treadmill, and it hurt the rest of the day and swelled a little. I went to the ortho yesterday just to get it checked out before my 20-miler. The exray was clear--no broken bones or anything. She said I have a mild contusion (bruise) on the bone that is making it sore and a mild sprain. She said I could still run, but just to wear my brace. She said maybe I should knock 5 miles off and only do 15, but if I can run 15 on it, I might as well go for twenty. (And she didn't say I HAD to knock off any miles.)

3. I'm barely recovered from the half-marathon. I think I ran 18 coming off a drop-down week. This time, I had a fairly hard race effort only 7 days ago. Yesterday, I was supposed to do 8 miles, but called it quits after only 5. My legs felt heavy and sluggish. Miles four and five felt more like miles 17 and 18 did a couple of weeks ago. I listened to my body and shortened the run. Today, I'm not doing anything. I'm going to hydrate and carb load and hope that the 48- hours between the two runs will make a big difference in terms of recovery. STARTING a 20-miler already tired won't be fun. At all.

See why I'm scared????

11 comments:

Amy said...

Don't psych yourself out, too much... you knocked 18 out easily and you'll be able to knock out 20, too. Personally, though they suck... I think hills are actually better on long runs than completely flat courses... it keeps things interesting and I get an endorphin boost after them.

Good luck... I know you'll conquer that 20 no problem tomorrow! Enjoy the carb loading! :) (And remember... no sushi! Ha!).

Stacey said...

You will be fine! Just take it slow and break it down into a few 10Ks. If you can run 18..You CAN run 26.2 and 20 is in between! (I still sometimes get a little nervous before my long runs) You will do GREAT! and you will be able to say "I ran 20 miles today!" ( : (You will probably need a nap!) Good luck and have fun! I wish I could go with you!

Anonymous said...

It's ok to be nervous. I was nervous the other day before a 13 mile run and I run that distance all the time. You'll do fine! Just take it easy and you'll finish it.

My legs are still exhausted from the half I did as well. I'm hoping my run this afternoon goes better than Tuesday's did.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear you've actually registered for the marathon LOL.

Janice {Run Far} said...

The nerves are normal and they wont go away. I am running 20 tomorrow too and I am a bit nervous today. On my last 18 miler it was windy and I didnt want to die at the end and then struggle all day so I walked at mile 3 for 30 sec and then every other mile after that for 30 sec and drank a but of something. I really think walk breaks help big time. Try it... you wont be mad you did. I am excited to hear about it later. I will be sure to FB you about mine... I only have 10 mile under my belt for this week so far... I thought I would be good get all motivated.. well I was.. but I have had a strange week this week.. so 10 was all I could get in.

Bethany said...

Best of luck tomorrow! Look at you...already at 20 miles, you should be so proud!

tamblair said...

You will do just fine - I am sure of it!! I think it's normal to be nervous when you try something you've never done before. Can't wait to hear how you do!! GOOD LUCK!!

Lisa said...

I'm sure you will be fine. Heck if you can do 18, whats another 2? I have my first 4 mile run coming up on Sunday and I'm nervous too. It's all mental. I can do 3 so whats another 1, right??? Good luck and I can't wait to read how it went.

Felice Devine said...

You can do it!!! The hills should actually be a nice change for your legs -- it's good to shake up your stride on that long of a run.

StangLuvr said...

good luck with the 20 miler....Just go at it at a EASY pace and don't worry about your ankle. It will be fine. Now go bust that 20 miles in the mouth!!!

Jules said...

you can do it, you can do it...just don't run for time...run for distance (LOL, who am "I" to give runing advice?!)...but do it and get it over with.

I am the same way about scary runs. I was a FREAk all last Sat AM about the 5 mile beerun that was to be that afternoon. I was nervous nellie. so weird.

You are a great runner...you can do this! 2 more miles than your 18..."forgedaboutit"

StangLuvr said...

How did it go? Anxious to hear your recap of the big 20 miler....

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...