Saturday, January 5, 2008

Fartleking

According to http://www.time-to-run.com/,

The Definition of Fartlek

Derived from the Swedish term that means ‘Speed Play’, fartlek can provide an excellent endurance and strength session, as well as help improve your speed and race awareness. Fart=speed and lek=play

Today, we ran fartleks at the park. You'd think the "play" part would mean fun, but I'd have to say it was anything but fun.

We ran med/hard for 30 seconds, then 30 seconds recovery. Then 60 seconds the same way. Then 90 seconds, 2 full minutes, etc. What I discovered is that if you run "all out" for say, 90 seconds, 90 seconds of recovery IS NOT ENOUGH! At the end of the 90 seconds, I was breathing like an asthmatic having an attack. I could not will my legs to go any faster. My trainer tried, but by round two of the 30, 60, 90, 2 min. circuit, I was kaput.

Here's the sad part. I was trying to run 1/4 mile in the 2-minute time frame and I didn't make it on the second circuit. That's only an 8-minute pace. It's not like I was trying for a 6 minute pace or something. In my defense, I ran it in about 2 minutes, 3 seconds. Still I HATE not meeting a goal, albeit an arbitrary one. But, I continuously remind myself these mantras:

EVERY SPEED WORKOUT MAKES ME FASTER.

EVERY RUN MAKES ME A BETTER RUNNER.

Only three weeks until my next race day! I'll be running my big 10K (6.2 miles) on Feb. 2. I get to do a 6-miler on Monday to see how it feels. It'll be the longest distance of my life!

No comments:

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...