Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Sweet Relief




Is it wrong to be relieved that the holidays are over? We had a blessed holiday--- quality time with family and friends, lots (and lots and lots) of good food, more presents than the kids know what to do with..... but I find myself breathing a sigh of relief. November and December are everyone's hectic season, but ours seemed especially so this year. The busyness started with Halloween. A few days later we celebrated Nathaniel's birthday. Then Chris's. Then Thanksgiving. Then Annabeth's birthday. Mix in a couple of end-of-the-season soccer parties. And Cub Scouts. That was November.

December was relatively calm in comparison: three family celebrations, two holiday parties, shopping (and a partridge in a pear tree......).

I'm ready for normal to begin again.

We did have some holiday highlights. I think the best part of my holiday was Christmas morning when my seven-year-old, who lately has had some ungratefulness issues, exclaimed, "Mom, I got just what I wanted!!!" Music to my ears.



Other highlights:





  • the Grace Community Church December 23 Christmas service. The music was amazing. We have so many talented artists at our little church.



  • Having friends over on Christmas Eve to share our holiday tradition of seafood---boiled shrimp, fried shrimp and fried oysters. Then hanging out and playing board games all evening and laughing and laughing.


  • when Grandpa decided it would be fun to "camp out" in the living room with four of his grandchildren (ages 5-9) on Christmas night. Such a brave grandpa.



  • when my seven-year-old Nathaniel and his six-year-old cousin Maxx, who only see one another about 4 or 5 times a year, decided to share one child-sized sleeping bag on said Christmas night. I'm so glad they finally have the closeness we always hoped they'd have.



  • being outside in the cold, but steamy and warm in the hot tub with my hubby, sister-in-law, and nephew on Christmas night telling embarrassing stories about ourselves (the nine-year-old's idea)


It was a good Christmas. But I'm still glad it's over. I hope you had a good one!

1 comment:

katieo said...

How sweet! What a fun Christmas! (and VERY brave grandpa, lol!)

I totally know what you mean though. Three of our 5 birthdays fall in the fall/winter months. I'm relieved they're over.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...