Friday, July 17, 2015

Summer of Rebuilding

I have to say I've really enjoyed this summer of rebuilding.  I miss my running buddies, but I've had to take some time to do my own thing.  I've really focused on strength training and running short runs with better form.  I've had many chiropractic adjustments, sports massage, and spent more time in the local YMCA and my home gym than I have in years.

I had what I thought was a setback two weeks ago.  I attempted a 5-mile road run with my husband.  My hip hurt nearly the whole run.  It was hot and humid.  I couldn't catch my breath.  I had no strength on hills.  At 3, I started run-walking.  At 4.25, I gave up and walked back home, feeling very defeated.  I was also embarrassed that I couldn't keep up with him.

The next day, my hip felt ok, so at 6 p.m., when it was slightly cooler, I headed out for a second try.  I had a WONDERFUL 5-mile trail run.  I walked some of the hills, but it was the first time I felt like myself again-- pushing, climbing, drenched in sweat and accomplishment at the end.   I celebrated with a trip to Academy Sports and a new running hat.

Since that confidence-building run, I've had some pretty good runs.  My still-healing hip prefers trails to roads.  Four road miles is the maximum I've run comfortably.  Last Saturday, my husband (aka my summer running buddy) and I ran a very challenging 6-mile loop at a trail near Nashville.  It was TOUGH, but we had a good time.  I felt good the next day.  During runs, I am aware of my hip less and less.  It does ache/burn mildly on hills.

Those 5 and 6 mile trail races were in preparation for this Sunday's Bowie Park 6-mile race, my first race post-injury and first in about two months.  I love exploring new trails, and this one is about 1 hour, 15 minutes away.  I hope to run it strong.

 I am slowly rebuilding endurance, acclimating to the heat, and getting back to my normal pace. This week was a good week of training.  I ran a 2.5 miler, 4 miles with 4 X 1/4 mile intervals, and 3.1 miles alternating 1/2 mile easy, 1/2 mile moderate.  I also crosstrained for one hour and strength trained.  This balance of running and crosstraining/strength training feels right.

I am going to focus on building up my base in the upcoming weeks.  I've found a great Glute Camp program on one of the machines at the Y--the arc trainer, which is my favorite.   I plan to start taking one spin class per week as well.   I'll probably try some 55-minute strength training classes as well.

I don't have an official training plan, but my next long race is a half marathon on October 10.  I'll be ready!

No comments:

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...