Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What's Next?? Life After Marathon

I'm excited. I'm nervous. I'm a little scared about the weather (now 86 is the high on Saturday). But, I'M READY. Since January 5, I have run 325 training miles, every mile on my plan plus a bonus mile.

You parents know how you divide life into BK and AK ("Before Kids" and "After Kids")? Well, in these last few months, my life has been Before Marathon and After Marathon in my mind. And I couldn't see beyond the marathon. However, as the day is only two days away, I'm beginning to think about life after the marathon.

The top 5 things I plan to do after this marathon is over:

1. Potty train my kid. My daughter will be three on May 30. It's time. I know Pull Ups are fun, Julia, but they are a crutch. It's time to put on your big girl panties and move on. Except for six all-too-short months right before Julia's birth, I have been changing diapers for the past 8 and a half years! Seriously.

2. Landscape my yard. If there was an Ugly Yard Award in my neighborhood, we'd get it. We moved into a new construction home in November. We have no grass, no shrubs, no curb appeal. Now that it's finally spring and I don't have twenty-milers every Saturday, I'm hoping to make my home LOOK like a home.

3. Zumba, baby! I LOVE to dance. (Did you know that about me?) I think I love dancing more than running, even! But Zumba class is on Wednesday, the day of my speedwork and/or medium long tempo runs. But not anymore. Zumba, spin, weight training, swimming-- there are so many options for maintaining fitness! I like having options.

4. Improve my personal hygeine/appearance. I might just find time to pluck those wayward eyebrows, actually style my hair and stop throwing it in a ponytail every day (or wearing a hat), and maybe, just maybe, get a pedicure on my 9 and a half toenails. (I have a new baby nail growing!)

5. Keep running. I actually have my next race planned. It's a 5K exactly two weeks after the marathon. It's in my hometown in Kentucky and it starts and finishes in front of my parents' house. How can I NOT do it?? No parking hassles, free childcare, walk to the start and finish.... After that, I know of a couple more 5K's in June and July. Then, come August, it'll be time to get ready for a couple of fall half-marathons (maybe Murfreesboro, TN and one here in Clarksville), perhaps even a December (St. Jude's in Memphis, TN) or January (Disney!) full.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

8 comments:

MCM Mama said...

LOL at the personal hygiene comment. I'm not much better than you and have no excuse.

Good luck with the marathon and figuring out exactly what races to do later.

StangLuvr said...

Since I can't do the CMM, I was looking at Vegas (Dec. 7th) or Disney for my 1st marathon.

GOOD LUCK ON SATURDAY!!!! I know that 325 miles will pay off with a killer run through Nashvegas!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Getting some things planned and to look forward to after the race is a great idea. I have had Post Race Blues so many times. I hope you don't feel it, but with all these things you are thinking about it might help. How cool is it that you are going to run that 5k... I would love that.

Oh ya.. way to go about getting every mile in plus 1... you rock.

Jules said...

hey!

I cannot wait to hear the race report!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH...you've come a long way baby!

Bethany said...

Sounds like you are going to have an exciting summer! You are going to have to tell me about Zumba, my local rec does it on Wednesday evening and I'm thinking about trying it, I love to dance too!

Have a great run Saturday and don't forget to enjoy it, especially when it gets rough! You are running a FREAKIN' marathon! Not many can do that, so be proud!

tamblair said...

Good luck, good luck, good luck!! Can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

Velma said...

GOOD LUCK!!! You are going to have a blast out there - don't forget to drink a lot.

Lisa said...

Great job planning ahead. I really suffered from a lack of motivation after my marathon until I signed up for another race. It is great to keep your fitness up!

Good luck potty training. I don't envy you at all. I hate potty training. Since she is so close to 3, it shouldn't be too hard though. My son was PT right after his 3rd birthday and it was pretty easy (other than his immense fear of ALL public toilets for the next year). My daughter was not even 2 1/2 and it was a nightmare. Hopefully your daughter will be easy. Do you have the Three Day Potty Training boot camp? If you want a copy, let me know. I didn't use it, but my friends did with good luck.

Have fun with Zumba! It looks like SO much fun!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...