Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Recovering--Not for the Faint of Heart

Here is a picture of my livesavers---Carol and Phil. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I think this is around mile 19. Don't we look like we are having fun??

I hardly slept on Saturday night after the marathon--a combination of many caffeinated gels, excitement, and pain radiating throughout both feet. On Sunday, I must have been operating off adrenaline fumes because I was busy, busy, busy instead of resting with my feet up. I went to church, then shopping, then lunch, then to watch my husband and son in a local 5K, then out to dinner.... By evening, my toes looked like sausages. They were so swollen, I thought they might burst. But that's not the worst part.

The worst part of post-marathon recovery has been my toenails. After the marathon, when I took off my shoes and socks, I realized 3 toenails had painful blisters under the nails (including the two big toes). It seems my feet swelled throughout the marathon and the pressure on the top of my toes caused bruising and blisters. My shoes had fit fine on the 20-milers---not even one blister. But that extra 6 miles or the heat---something made my shoes too small by the end of 26.2.

So, I imagine in just a few weeks I'll be down to only SIX toenails. Just in time for summer. It was sort of a rite of passage when I lost the first one, but being absent four is a bit much. Especially the big ones. I think that might be rather noticeable.

I did "bathroom surgery" when I could no longer take the pressure under the nails. Every step had become very painful. So, I sterilized a needle and punctured the blisters. Then I had to press on already sore nails to drain the fluid out. ARE YOU CRINGING YET?? Because I am and I was THERE. It was the craziest thing I had ever done. I was like, "Good grief! Who have I become?"

Now they finally feel better. My quads are almost good as new, too. My knees and ankles held up amazingly through all this (thank you, glucosamine and chondroitin).

Today I mailed my registration for the Strawberry Festival 5K next Saturday, May 9. Hopefully I can get my feet in my shoes by then.

Marathoning is a WHOLE NEW WORLD. But I'm still planning #2. The St. Jude Marathon in Memphis, TN, is six months away. I'll be ready.

11 comments:

Lana said...

Marathoning is a "bug" -- and it sounds like you've been bitten! When I finished my marathon last fall, amid the exhaustion all I could think was "When can I do this again?" We must be crazy...but it's a good crazy!

StangLuvr said...

I just want to say thanks for blogging your experience. It gives me hope I can get pass my injury bugs and do my 1st marathon. I will take the pain to get to where you are too!!!!

GREAT JOB AGAIN!!!!

Felice Devine said...

Oh, I know that feeling -- yucky toes right it time for sandals and flip flops!!

Cyndi said...

Ok, so your comment on my blog today got me all excited and *hopeful*....and then I read THIS ha ha ha...just kiddin'. WAR WOUNDS - that's what you have and you should be proud of them! ;-) Think of the pedicure dollars saved ha ha....

Anyway, thanks for your encouraging words! It really means a lot!

Velma said...

You should get one of those shirts that says Got Toenails? Super cute - show off the feet as a badge of courage.

I have heard so many great things about Memphis. A bunch of runners from the StL are going for the race. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. Way to go on planning another race. I know I am itching to get out there and train again.

Jules said...

lol, funny and weird story about the toenails! You GO on your 5k in a week!

Lisa said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm late reading this but wow, you did a great job. Such an amazing accomplishment, and throw in the heat, you should be proud (as I'm sure you are). I can't wait to be able to write my first half marathon report. I look forward to making friends along the way as you did so we can support each other because I will likely be running it alone.

MCM Mama said...

Poor toes!

Can't wait to hear all about your training for the second marathon.

tamblair said...

Ummmm... the whole toenail thing just totally freaks me out. I think it's a good thing I decided not to get too serious into the running thing. I am not sure I could pop blisters underneath my toenails. But just like a kid would do, you should wear your injuries with PRIDE. I've got much respect for you!!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I giggle knowing you got the marathoning bug too. Addciting.

I have been draining my blisters since monday. they are UNDER my big toe nails... weird...

NY Wolve said...

Ouch! Never had blisters under the nail. Mine just pop out like sunglass lenses out of the frame. Keep it up and no one really notices missing toenails, do they?

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...