Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sunrise Saturday

One of my running friends really, really wanted to run at 6:40 a.m. this morning. I tried reasoning with her, but she was pretty adamant. "Get your run over with." "You'll have the rest of your day to do whatever you want." "Once you get up and get out there, you'll be fine." "It'll be warm at 6:40 and might get hot later in the day" (we are having 60 degree weather---weird!)." I finally gave in. But I wasn't happy about it.

It actually worked out ok. I went to bed at 9:00 p.m. on Friday evening (so sad). I woke up before my 5:30 alarm at 5:08 a.m. feeling well-rested for once. I like it when that happens, and I'm not jolted out of a deep sleep by the alarm. That just makes me mad. I'm not one who can roll out of bed and just hit the road. I have to have coffee, breakfast, take care of, um, other business. I need an HOUR.
The house was quiet and I had my coffee and breakfast and read the paper in complete peace and silence (rare!). It was a little dark when my friend picked me up, and we watched the sun rise on the way to meet our running partners. Seeing a Saturday morning sunrise--even rarer!

We settled into our little pace groups after the first mile. There was the fast group, and there was me and my friend. It's ok. We've come to accept it. :-)

We did 5 miles at a peppy 9:29 pace, so I was pretty happy. I got home and took a shower and actually didn't miss my daughter cheerleading this week. I was glad because they performed a half-time dance for the first time. So fun!

Ok, I guess I do technically have the rest of my day ahead of me..... but I don't plan to run before 8:00 a.m. for a while!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job getting up and getting it done. I hate running early and had to do a lot of it to survive the summer marathon training. I so don't miss that!

Amy said...

I love running early in the mornings... I agree with your friend, it's nice to have your whole day left!

So, yeah, I think this weekend is going to be a pretty big race... When I ran it, it was actually at Montgomery Bell State Park and it was a big race then, but since they've moved it to Cedars of Lebanon, I think it will be even bigger. I've also heard a bunch of people mention that they're running it. Should be fun!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...