Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Shoe Quest Continues and I Found My Mojo

I got the new shoes I had ordered from Road Runner Sports, ripped open the bag, excitedly placed them on my feet, jogged around my kitchen.... and they are going back. Both pairs. I tried on the Asics 2140's and they hurt-- actually hurt. They pinched around my Achilles. The 2130's don't do that. The Brooks Adrenaline were, well, ugly. They were red and rather dark gray with these glaring white shoelaces that looked totally out of place. I simply cannot run in ugly shoes. Oh, and wearing them around the house made my right foot hurt just a bit, too. (I'm sorry if you run in the new Brooks Adrenalines and I just insulted you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it was the shoe strings anyway.)

So, the quest continues. Next, I think I will try the Mizuno Wave Nirvana and Asics Gel Kayano. Unfortunately, each of those comes with a $140 price tag instead of my usual $85 to $90. But they are both "stability plus" shoes for runners who overpronate and run more than 25 miles a week. I haven't had a 25+ week YET, but I know it's coming. They have more cushioning than a regular stability shoe. I guess if they soften impact and give me less knee and ankle pain, they are priceless.

I am no longer mad at running. We made our peace sometime yesterday on my Day of No Exercise. Today, I didn't totally dread my 2 miles on the treadmill. I even did some speed play on the last one. With some encouragement from the fellow runner on the machine next to me, I managed to finish that speedy mile strong at an 8:20 pace (7.2 mph) for the last tenth of a mile. That felt great. I'd never ventured above 7 mph.

I'm even looking forward to my next two runs. Tomorrow, I'm meeting my old training buddy from last spring for five easy miles. We haven't run together much lately, and I'm excited about catching up. Then on Saturday morning, I'm doing five more miles with a new running buddy at a challenging pace.

I think my shorter runs this week did so much for me mentally. I'll be ready to run long again next Saturday when I'm doing the Frostbite Half-Marathon in Lebanon, Tennessee (plus one mile for 14 miles). It's at a state park and 3 of the miles are apparently off road. Cool. I'll be ready.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My last three pairs of shoes were Asics Gel Kayano 14's. They worked well for me.

Anonymous said...

I don't run in Kayano's anymoe because I apparently don't need them (I use Mizuno Wave Riders now), but I still use my old shoes for short runs and when I'm at my parents' house (yes, I'm almost 40 and I still keep running shoes at their house). Anyways, I think they are super comfortable and worth the price, especially if you need that type of shoe.

Run Mommy said...

The shoes are so important! I finally found mine and love them Asic's Cumulus.. you are right - priceless.

Bethany said...

If you choose the Asics, please let me know what you think! I'm considering them as well...

So glad you are feeling good this week :) Frost-bite should be a great run, weather wise!

Amy said...

Heres a warning: Once you try a pair of obscenely priced running shoes... you'll never be able to run in any other pair. Everytime I have to fork over $125 for a pair of my ASICS Nimbus I groan and wish I'd never ventured to the dark side.

Although, I do have to say... I LOVE the gel cushioning in the ASICS and I do think spending $125 on shoes is better than spending money at an orthopaedic doctor... so...

See you next week at Frostbite!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, a warning about the Keyanos. I've had Keyanos forever (the 13's) and last year before my marathon got the 14's - they SUCKED. Very hard, hurt my feet, not as much cushion as the 13's, etc. I ended up getting the 2130's and that's what I wore for my marathon.

I haven't bought new shoes since last September, so things change, but I hope they've improved the 14. Good luck, I hope they work for you!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I am so happy you are getting those shoes instead. They are pricey but so worth the money. I love both and run in both right now. I hopw you like them.

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...