Friday, June 1, 2012

Life After Marathon.....

Well, it only took me a month to blog again after the marathon.  Burnout hit pretty hard post-marathon.  I didn't run for 5 days, then I only ran because I had to teach my running class at the YMCA.   I took a couple of weeks with very, very little running.   In the back of my mind, however, was the upcoming ULTRAMARATHON on my plate.  I was scared to take TOO much time off, but knew my body needed to recover.   So, other than a few 3 and 4 milers during the week, in the past month I've run/walked a 9.5 miler (4:1 ratio--two weeks after the marathon), struggled through a 16 miler (which was ok up until 10, tough up to 13 and brutal in the last 3), and run a 7-miler as my long runs.    Add all that TOGETHER, and you get just over 50K.   Hmmmm...   I figure that plus my marathon training will get me through (I hope).   It's next weekend, at any rate, so (to quote a phrase I actually hate) "it is what it is." 

That last longish run--the whopping 7 miler-- included a 5K race.  It was super hot and humid and my race plan went out the window.   I finished in 27:53 and got 1st in my age group (41-50) out of 28 women.  It was a pretty good day, but I HATE 5K's.  They are short but painful.

I feel slightly less burned out at any rate, and I feel mostly recovered, so it's all good.   I just plan to run/walk that 31 miles next weekend---- just going slow and easy and finishing.   Apparently in ultrarunning circles, that is acceptable, if not expected.   Yay!   If I can average around 13-minute miles, I'll be happy.   My slowest marathon average (1st one) was a 12:15 pace and I walked a TON.   I'd like to finish in 7 hours, there I said it.    (That is a 13:31 pace.)   The thing with 7 hour races though, is you have a LOT of aid stops and restroom breaks.   I have to remember to figure in those with my time.

My nutrition/hydration plan is the following:
Lots of water
Some Cytomax until I get sick of it
Heed (offered on the course) and maybe some Powerade.  I like that lemon Powerade isn't too sweet.
6 or so gels  (GU peanut butter, vanilla, chocolate, just plain, and lemon sublime)
1 or 2 bottles of Ensure
Salt caps
For real food---I'm taking Garden of Eatin' Organic Blue Corn Tortilla chips (I will be sick of sweet), a baked white potato, and two baked sweet potatoes.   If I'm to stay GLUTEN-FREE, I won't be able to partake of the pizza and bagels and other offerings on the course.    I guess I will take a protein shake and figure out something to eat AFTER the race, which runs from 8:00 p.m. to around 3:00 a.m. or whenever I finish.  

Wish me luck.  I'm honestly a bit nervous. 

No comments:

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...