Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Still in the Game

Though this blog has come to a near stand-still, I wanted to let you know I'm still in the game! Last week I logged 34 miles. My long run on Saturday was one of those ugly ones though. You know the kind where at mile 6, you feel like you've run about 12, and at mile 12, you feel like you've run about 18-20? One of THOSE kinds of runs. Ahhhh, well, you take the good with the bad.

On Monday, I got to run in the snowfall for the second time this winter. Running in the snow always makes me happy inside. There's just something poetic about it. I try to freeze those moments in my mind, so next July when it's 95 and 160% humid here in Tennessee, I can remember.....

Today I got in an unexpected 12-miler. Or I should say "unplanned." (Yes, kind of like my 3rd child---I knew I wanted to do it, I just didn't plan to do it so soon....) I woke up this morning and looked at the weather forecast and thought, "I can run 12 miles on Saturday when it's about 18 degrees and a predicted 2-3 inches of snow and ice all over the roads, or I can do it today with 35-degree temps." I opted for today. I didn't carb-load yesterday. I didn't hydrate extra well like I usually do. I didn't even eat anything special for breakfast. But I got in my 12-miler, albeit very slowly..... I didn't even GEL. (That's rare!) I had 1/2 banana and a Luna Bar (Nutz over Chocolate--yum!) during the run.

It's funny to wake up on a random Wednesday and run 12 miles, you know? The body really adapts to what you give it.

See ya!

5 comments:

Casey said...

wow way to go on your 12 miles!! I love running in the snow! We haven't had a whole lot this season though.

nutz over chocolate is fantastic. I also really like their lemon flavor.

Randy Runswithacross said...

Glad you're still posting and nice work on the unexpecting timing of your run. It is good to know you can just strap them on and go if needed.

Keep up the good work. Blessings..Randy

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo. Go girl. I know SO many people who have commented about today's weather and had taken advantage of it. I wasn't able to but am hoping that tomorrow won't be too bad yet, weather wise. Tom King Plan with CRC calls for 12 on Saturday?! What?!? I'm not ready. We still have a month to go.

Chris said...

Anyone who runs 12 miles -- and that's not their *long* run -- has got my eternal respect. Congrats!

Sarah Bowen Shea said...

Smart move to move your 12-miler up!

I co-authored a book called Run Like a Mother, coming out March 23. I’d love to have publicist send you a copy for possible review. Could you please email me your mailing address (pls. include your blog name as well) at bowenshea [at] gmail? Thanks!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...