Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Are Ya Kidding Me???

In my last post, I mentioned how I had 9 days left to continue to get my energy back and recover from bronchitis, I just had to avoid more illness.

Well....... on Saturday night, Hubby and I were out at a Christmas party when I got a call from my sitter. My 9 year old son had thrown up all over his bed, carpet, room, etc. Thus began a VERY. LONG. NIGHT. He was throwing up while simultaneously having explosive diarrhea for the next 7 to 8 hours. How does a skinny-9-year old even contain that much "stuff"???? He was a trooper though. He didn't cry about it (probably had no fluids left!). Unfortunately, he was rarely able to make it to the bathroom in time, so there was much scrubbing, steam cleaning, washing, and sanitizing of pretty much everything in the house. After several hours of sleep, however, he was as good as new---though probably 10 pounds lighter.

Then on Monday afternoon, my husband called and told me he had what our son has. He, too, had a rough night, but since he's a 41-year-old man, I figured he was ok on his own, and I retreated to the guest room. It was better for everyone that way. I did take him ginger ale occasionally and check to make sure he was still breathing. He's better today, though not quite 100%. Kids bounce back faster, I guess. (Especially kids with ADHD like my son. They REALLY bounce!)

And finally, TODAY, two hours after I dropped her off, my 7-year-old daughter's school called and said she had gotten sick and needed to be picked up. Was I surprised? Not in the least. Bless her heart, she threw up while waiting in line to use the restroom. She was so close. I thought she'd be mortified that she tossed her cookies in front of her entire class, but she wasn't. Maybe mortification comes later than age 7! She spent the afternoon napping on the bathroom floor. She had the least awful case of the three of them though.

So, now what? I am supposed to run my makeup marathon on Sunday. Rotavirus or some random stomach bug is in my house. Maybe I should just check into a hotel. :-)

Seriously, I have made peace with the situation. If I don't get it---and I am being careful and washing my hands and spraying Lysol and using hand sanitizer---I'll run on Sunday. If I do get a 7-8 hour vomiting/diarrhea virus Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, I guess marathon #2 was not meant to be.

We have had a very healthy fall. I can't really complain. No one got the swine flu or seasonal flu, we've avoided strep, and my kids have each only missed like 1 day of school. It's just the timing kind of stinks!

There will be other marathons---of that I am certain! But I'm not writing this one off just yet. I was a classroom teacher for 9 years, hopefully that counts for something immunity-wise!

10 comments:

Kerrie said...

Yikes. That sounds awful. Hope your system has "been there, done that" and it passes you by.

ihaverun said...

Sick kids are not fun!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you stay healthy!

Jennifer P said...

For sure your immune system must be pretty tough after being in the classroom for 9 years. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and your training is giving me the confidence to get off my own bronchitis-y butt and put on my big girl britches and get out of the house.
Good luck!

Chris said...

Great mom, great attitude! Good luck!

Lana said...

As the texters type, "OMG".

Janice {Run Far} said...

you are right.... if you end up sick, then it wasn't meant to be. Great attitude. I really hope you get to run this one. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Wash your days 50 times a day and stay well! Good luck on your run! I hope your ankle stays strong and have FUN!

Midwest said...

Oh, geez. I hope you make it to the starting line healthy.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

That's too bad! Hope you stay well and everyone else gets well soon!

Wendy said...

So sorry to hear that. I hope you stay healthy, and everyone else gets better soon.

You have a great attitude about the marathon!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...