Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mini-Marathoners and New Sneaks!

This afternoon I took my six and eight year olds to "track practice." The local running store has a FREE program for children 12 and under on Wednesday evenings at a nearby high school track. My son hasn't run since his 5K in April (other than normal little kid playing) and knocked out 1.5 miles pretty easily. My six-year-old daughter ran/walked 3/4 mile. My three-year-old even ran/walked about 1/4 mile! My son thinks he wants to run the half-marathon in November (there is NO way I'd let him at age 9---it's a couple of days after his birthday). But I have a feeling in the next five or six years, he'll be doing one. The Road Runners Clubs of America doesn't recommend long-distance running for children before puberty---so we'll wait a while. But my "mini-marathoners" had fun and want to go to track practice every week. (Good grief, could my life revolve any more around running???)

I got my new shoes in the mail today---New Balance 1225's. The colors are sort of different, but fun.I ran 3 miles in them and they felt good. I think they're keepers. I still have my Asics Kayano's to alternate with them. I'll do my 10-miler in the new sneaks on Saturday to give them a good tryout. I was feeling some heel pain lately with the Asics--as if they were not quite padded enough. I also felt they weren't very responsive---they didn't propel me forward with each step. These are still stability shoes (I overpronate), but they have a somewhat springier feel. They also have lots of traction on the bottom---something that might take some getting used to. I'll try them for 60 days and decide for sure. I ordered them a full size up (not just a half-size) so hopefully my toenails will stick around throughout marathon training and the marathon itself! That would be nice.

6 comments:

Oz Runner said...

that's neat about the running program for kids..i've been thinking about seeing if there is something like that here for my son...like the new kicks too...

tamblair said...

Ooooohhhh.... I like the shoes!! They are cute! And isn't it amazing that kids can just go out and run like it's nothing - oh, to be a kid again!

Midwest said...

I like those. They look fast!

Casey said...

Those shoes look great! And fast! :)

Unknown said...

I love the colors of your new shoes! Happy running, it was fun visiting your blog!
meg

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I'm with you on hoping to keep the toenails - some of my shoes are 1 1/2 sizes larger than my street shoes.

Two colors on the shoes - I like it!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...