Sunday, July 12, 2009

Coaching Certification Class!

I just got back from 16 hours of running coach training! Training was very informative and I’m still digesting it all. My two buddies and I had a good time and learned an INCREDIBLE AMOUNT of well-researched, tested training methods. I learned a ton about how to handle the training groups, but we learned perhaps even more about how to handle OUR marathon training. (They “dissed” the “cookie cutter” Runners’ World plans we’ve been using. Apparently they are not based on sound research.) We had a published book author/exercise physiologist/college professor/personal running coach and an ultra-runner/running coach/exercise physiologist as instructors.

I’m not sure if we want to toss the marathon training plan we were planning to use, but I’m strongly inclined to do so. The two exercise physiologists who taught the class helped us put together a marathon plan. They want HIGH mileage but EASY pace. No speed work even starts until week 14 of a 20-week plan! It’s got us building a base of 40-45 miles per WEEK. All running is totally easy pace---easier than any long run we’ve been doing. No tempo runs, no intervals, just lots of miles at a really easy pace---for me about 11:40/mile based on my 2:11 half-marathon in March. That's INCREDIBLY SLOW!!! And I thought my regular 10:15-10:30 was bad! (The website with the Macmillan running pace chart has a similar chart to the one they created. Look up what pace you should be running those long runs!)

I will be running 4 to 5 days per week, alternating easy/hard/easy. (Hard refers to distance, not pace.) This week I’m going to do--- 2, 5, 2, 5 and 8 for long run. (Five is considered a mid-length run, not an easy run, and thus, "Hard".) That will put me at 22 miles—a good start in the build up to 40! Our first official training long run should be at 9 or 10 miles next week. Did I mention the FOUR twenty-milers?

They have had over 30 years of success with this program---high mileage, but low injury and burnout. And finish times apparently indicate that the program WORKS. I can do my training at an 11:40 pace with a few 6 miles or less runs at marathon goal pace, and on race day meet my goal of 4:45 to 5 hours. Allegedly. And you apparently cross the finish line with much less damage to yourself and recover faster. It's not a "just get across the finish line" plan. It's a finish STRONG plan.

There is very little time for cross training (where would you fit it in during a 5/day a week running plan?), but assured us that running easy is the number 1 way to build the endurance. Unlike my last marathon plan, they felt that running only 3X per week doesn’t build the endurance, connective tissue, blood volume, muscle, lung capacity, and VO2 max to be as successful during a marathon as you could on higher mileage. It’s kind of counter-intuitive to me to run 40-45 miles per week as a relatively new athlete, but I trust their research.

I'm in. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. It will completely change the way I planned to train, but I'm finally excited about it. That was really the first step, wasn't it?? Update: I finished my marathon in 4:45:51. This stuff works!

11 comments:

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

wow very interesting! I love this kind of stuff! Where can I read more about finding out what pace I should be doing for my longer runs? I'm totally on a runners world cookie cutter plan right now!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Informative post! You've got me rethinking my plan. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Lisa said...

I tend to get overwhelemed by the abudance of information available on the best training methods. I've come to the conclusion that, as with most things, there is no one thing that will work for everyone. What works for you might not work for me and vice versa. Unless we plan on competing in the Olympics, I think pretty much any plan will do the trick. Sounds like you learned a lot regardless of what plan you pick. Goodl luck!

Bethany said...

Wow! I can hear really hear your excitement! I am really excited to see how this plan works out for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wish I could find a training group/program like this to attend. Can't wait to hear more!

April said...

That's really cool! How did you get involved in this? I wonder if there is something like it in Memphis??

Unknown said...

Good luck with the class and your revised training schedule. It sounds incredibly informative. I've always been a believer in distance first, then speed, so this goes with my thinking. Have fun, kiddo.

Erika said...

Very interesting. Not sure where I"d find time to run that kind of mileage at a slow pace, but I may try slowing my long runs down a bit (mind you, I'm not currently training for a marathon).

MCM Mama

The Sunflower Striders said...

Hi! I found your blog through a post you left on the Runners World Team Challenge... I too am a stay home (mom of 2 girls) and running the St. Jude Memphis Marathon. I am the captain of a small team called The Sunflower Striders... our goal past finishing the race is supporting the Prayers From Maria/ Children's Glioma Cancer Foundation. We are collectively working to raise $100,000 to fund a grant awarded by the foundation www.prayersfrommaria.org - Our moto is "striding to assure all children experience life as a marathon." Many of the children supported by this research are treated at St. Jude's -- unfortunately, at this time almost all the children's parents worst nightmares are lived out due to the incredible lack funds and research. I have been looking for a contact of someone possibly running or knowing individuals running the Memphis Marathon who would be interested in joining our team. Please give it a consideration... www.sunflowerstrider.blogspot.com

Happy Running and Warmest Regards, Liz Disper

Amy said...

This I like... So, my 55-70 miles per week might just pay off to a fast marathon in a couple weeks. I wonder what the taper looks like for these plans?

Anonymous said...

Still catching up on posts...this is great information! It makes me feel better about adding a 4th running day to my training, now that I've been running for one year (Sunday yay!), I think the bod can tolerate it if it's nice and slow!

I love strength training a couple times a week for XT, but I have yet to fall in love with another form of cardio - so if I can get away with more, slow, easy running, I'm all in!

Looking forward to your progress through training!

How to Run a 5K When You Hate Running

Do you hate running but want to run an upcoming 5K race?  Perhaps you want to support a specific charity close to your heart or have succumb...